2 Important topics on the agenda for Tuesday's Board meeting:
1. Reopening plan for Middle and High School Students (Board will be discussing and voting). I am advocating to get all Opt 1 students back to school at least 4 days per week. Administration is advocating for a hybrid model where Middle/High students will only have part-time in person learning. Email AND call the school board with your input. Phone calls will be most impactful. Board member contact can be found here: https://www.vbschools.com/about_us/our_leadership/school_board/members#rye
2. Budget: $36 million in Reversion money that the Board will vote to allocate. (See further details in the agenda.)
I'm thankful that my suggestion to provide an additional stipend to our teachers is being considered and I am inclined to support the proposal.
Here is a summary of the compensation proposal:
• $13,000,000 to be re-appropriated to the School Operating fund 115 to:
- Provide a one-time bonus of $1,000 for all full-time equivalent (FTE) employees - $11,000,000
- Increase the stipend amount for teachers providing dual instruction for Option 1 (face-to-face) and Option 2 (virtual) students - $2,000,000
I was not able to attend last night's board meeting but I did listen to the workshop. The superintendent now states that he cannot allow all option 1 students to return to in-person learning 4 days per week. He is proposing a hybrid plan and not allowing 7,8,10,11,12 to return at least until Nov 12th. Here is an email that I sent to Dr Spence and the Board this morning sharing my concerns and questions since I was not able to be at the meeting. I am also advocating for a higher stipend for teachers.