A special meeting took place yesterday for the School Board and public to receive the proposed budget recommendations. Here are few items that in the SEON:
1. A proposed 6.5% employee raise over 2 years (Governor proposed 3% but will not be funded by the state until the 2nd year.)
2. State is requiring a 1% increase in employer contributions toward VRS retirements which will cost the division $4.5 million.
3. Reversion funds (one time money-$4 million) will be used to pay for full day kindergarten.
4. Additional teachers for the ESL program-- There has been a 40% increase of non-english speaking students in Virginia Beach in 2 years.
5. A state mandate to eliminate waivers for class size at the Elementary level will require 38 new teaching positions ($2.9 million).
6. Student enrollment is down by 2,312 in the last 5 years and is predicted to continue to decline. (see chart)
The total SEON net budget of all funds for this year is $942,072,738.00 . This is an increase of $35,452,260.00 from last year.