I would like to make the following changes in our schools. With a new majority on the School Board we would be able to accomplish these action items. Currently, I'm in the minority vote on these topics.
1. BRING BACK VALEDICTORIAN & SALUTATORIAN. 70% of parents and students in a survey said they did not want to get rid of valedictorian and salutatorian but the majority of the current Board voted to remove these honors.
2. GRADING PRACTICES: Stop the practice of giving students a 50 for no work done and allow teachers to give a zero when they deem it necessary (no more site-based grading practices-- we must have a level playing field throughout the district)
3. COMPETITION IN CONTRACTING: Direct the Superintendent to ensure there is competition in the contracting process and reduce the number of "sole source" contracts. School Board Auditor found violations in contracting practices that MUST be resolved.
4. RESTORE RESPECT AND SAFETY: Immediately implement a thorough 3rd party review of discipline problems in our schools and the "One Lunch" practice. Teacher surveys indicate there are widespread discipline problems in our schools and our teachers feel less safe than ever! My colleagues have refused to take action on these concerns.
5. VOCATIONAL EDUCATION: support SB member Carolyn Weems efforts to have a full time vocational high school.
6. PARENTAL INPUT: Parents viewpoints must not only be heard but valued!! Surveys should be conducted before decisions are made.... not AFTER. Parents should be the primary voice in the IEP process for students with special needs and not an afterthought!