New and Amended Policies being voted on by the VB School Board on Wedn 9/9/20. Including a new EQUITY POLICY and changes to STANDING RULES and PROCUREMENT
The image above was provided to me and I have verified that this is part of current training in VB Schools.
If you have any viewpoints that you would like to share regarding these new and amended policies, contact the school board at the group e-mail: email@example.com or call to sign up to speak at 757-263-1016. You may also sign up to speak by using this form.
1: EQUITY POLICY:
* Will mandate training for employees and School Board members regarding the topic of Culturally Responsive Practices. School Board has not been informed of what the required training will be. We must vote on the policy to know what is in the policy. Superintendent verified that part of current training is "Courageous Conversations About Race" (see above). Glenn Singleton's "Pacific Education Group based in San Francisco makes millions of dollars from this type of training throughout the country. He is political and seems to be extreme and seems to hold his own biases. I do not know if this is what will be mandated but it is being used now.
* I had a meeting with administration last week and I verified that not all stakeholder groups were represented in creating this policy. The Equity Council and the Policy Review Committee (made up of 3 School Board members) drafted the policy. The equity council is made of 20 members, 16 of which are VBCPS employees. There was little to no representation from the Latin, Filipino, or Native American community. A member of the United Jewish Federation was invited to participate (which is great) but no other Christian or Muslim organization was specifically invited. No one was invited who represented the Special Education Community.
* Budget: the policy gives the Superintendent full authority to spend money with no cap to hire consultants and to implement the policy.
2. SCHOOL BOARD STANDING RULES:
* Reduces the amount of the time the public can address the school board from 4 minutes to 3 minutes
3. BY-LAW 1-47:
* Reduces the amount of time for the public to speak and also reduces the window of when speakers can sign up to address the Board
4. POLICY 3-32-CONTRACT EXECUTION POLICY:
* Exempts certain items up to $100,000 from being competitively procured. This includes Instructional Software and Digital Resources. There are thousands of companies that provide these products.
ACTUAL POLICY DRAFT DOCUMENTS